20 evacuated after report of smoke at Thompson House

Residents, guests removed from wing; electric fault found

0 Flares 0 Flares ×

Twenty residents and visitors at the Thompson House in Rhinebeck were evacuated from one wing of the facility July 20 after a reported odor of smoke, according to the Rhinebeck Fire Department.

At 3:15pm,,the fire department was dispatched to the 100-bed nursing and rehabilitation facility located on the Northern Dutchess Hospital campus.

On arrival and further investigation, a slight smoke condition and a hot wall were detected in room 205, and firefighters requested additional mutual aid, the report said.

The 20 residents and guests were taken to the lobby from the second floor of the east wing by Thompson House staff as a precautionary measure.

Further investigation indicated that an in-wall electric light fixture ballast had burned out, creating the smoke condition and hot wall in room 205 and the adjacent therapy room. The wall was opened to determine that there was no spread of fire within.; and electric service to the fixture was isolated. Damage was minor.

Chief Kevin Asher was in command of the response and he released the mutual aid companies at 4:10pm, declaring the situation under control. Mutual aid companies assisting at the scene were Rhinecliff, Hillside, and Ulster Hose #5, the Rhinebeck police and the state police.

0 Flares Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Twitter 0 LinkedIn 0 0 Flares ×